Re: diskid documentation

From: John-Mark Gurney <jmg_at_funkthat.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 15:27:06 -0700
Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote this message on Mon, Jun 02, 2014 at 22:26 +0200:
> On Mon, Jun 02, 2014 at 11:01:08AM -0700, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> > Michael W. Lucas wrote this message on Mon, Jun 02, 2014 at 11:36 -0400:

> > > Wait-- one type of one label can hide another?
> > >
> > > I thought a big point of labels was to remove ambiguity...
> >
> > Surprisingly, yes...  I didn't think about this, but it's true...
> >
> > A disk will get exported via two different devices, diskid and normal
> > da/ada...  The tasting will go through and create all the necessary
> > sub devices, but the problem is that we now have two different paths,
> > and if something opens the diskid path, then the da/ada paths all
> > disappear...
> >
> > This sounds like we need to fix geom to "bind" the two together so
> > that when one opens, the other doesn't disappear... The problem is
> > that geom views them as two separate disks when in fact they are the
> > same...  someone who knows geom well should think about how to solve
> > this problem, as diskid isn't the first time this has happened, just
> > most prevalent w/ ZFS and diskid.
>
> The problem is that GPT labels (or GPT IDs for that matter) should not
> be implemented within GLABEL. This is wrong. It should be implemented as
> part of GPART, so that GPART would create ada0p1, gpt/label and
> gptid/whatever. Opening one of those should not make the others
> disappear then. Only opening ada0 for writting would make them disappear.

even gpart would be wrong IMO... What happens if there is another
provider like GPART, but different, do they need to implement diskid
creation too to prevent the same issue?

Shouldn't geom be updated to say, this ident is an alias, everything
you do w/ this, it's exactly the same as the other one?  This would
also have the advantage of possibly removing one layer in the call
chain when dealing w/ IO. (or does GEOM has a pass-through flag that
says, I don't do anything, just skip me?)

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579