Re: Problems building FreeBSD 9.2 on FreeBSD 10

From: Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 13:43:55 -0700
On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 1:05 PM, Simon J. Gerraty <sjg_at_juniper.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jun 2014 11:35:42 -0700, Craig Rodrigues writes:
>>Do you know if there is some sort of patch that can be applied to
>>FreeBSD stable/9 sources so that it can be built on a FreeBSD
>>10/stable, or FreeBSD CURRENT
>>host with bmake?
>
> You would likely need to apply many of the changes made in 10.
> IIRC stable/9 has just enough bmake support to be able to build/install
> bmake itself, so that ports can use it.
>
> I'm not sure how many people would appreciate making such changes to
> stable/9 at this point.

Most users would not care about building stable/9 on a stable/10 host.
There are only a few people care about being able to do that.
People who use poudriere to build a jail to build ports would care.
People who are building products base on stable/9, but need
to use a stable/10 (or newer) host would care, but that number of people
is small.

>>I'm trying to build a FreeBSD stable/9 jail on a FreeBSD 10/stable host, so th
>>at
>>I can build ports inside the jail with poudriere.
>
> Why not use fmake in that scenario?

That might work.   Is using the devel/fmake port sufficient for using fmake?
If I typed "make something", is there a way inside the make environment to
detect if bmake or fmake was invoked, and error out appropriately?

--
Craig