Re: Problems building FreeBSD 9.2 on FreeBSD 10

From: Glen Barber <gjb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 21:12:51 -0400
On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 06:57:15PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> On Jun 23, 2014, at 6:15 PM, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> > So, I guess that stable/9 can build properly on a stable/10 box.
> > For FreeBSD 9.2, there is no easy way out.
>
> You’ll have to back port the patch then. We don’t guarantee forward
> compatibility like this since 9.2 is frozen in time now.

I'd really like to discuss rethinking our forward-compatibility
policies, since we have (now) 3 active stable/ branches, plus head/.

What I would like to see, with my RE hat on, is a "best effort"
backwards compatibility to being able to build the lowest-numbered
supported stable/ branch on head/.

Sure, this won't always work, but "best effort" is better than "no
effort", which the latter is why we do not have stable/8 snapshot
builds, to be honest.  I won't spend the time on the stable/8/release/
code nor the snapshot build scripts to waste the time.  Building
stable/9 on head/ is annoying alone.

Glen