IXP700 AHCI fails to initialize

From: Yuriy Taraday <yorik.sar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2014 22:00:52 +0400
Hello.

I currently have FreeBSD 8.3 on my home server and it works fine but it's
time to upgrade at last (new ath and new ipfw especially allure me). I've
decided to go straight to 10.0 and reinstall system from scratch to purge
all legacy unrelated configs and other stuff.

The problem I faced is as follows. I have a (rather old) motherboard with
integrated SATA controller that presents in the OS as IXP700. In 8.3 it
works fine. I have 2 disks attached to it: one with all my data and another
one destined to be new system disk. I also have one IDE disk installed that
is currently used as system disk.

When I booted from USB stick with 10.0, I couldn't see any SATA disks in
the system. I dug into dmesg and found this: http://pastebin.com/wv2A0MUE
As it seems AHCI controller or disks are not responding to commands and
timeouts eventually.

A friend suggested to try CURRENT image. I went
with FreeBSD-11.0-CURRENT-amd64-VT-20140222-r262336-mini-memstick.img and
got almost the same error: http://pastebin.com/0iGaSWUD
The error repeats and never stops (looks like CURRENT images have different
config) but it is essentially the same.

I've googled the problem but found only notes about how IXP700 is really
bad and pointers that cabling might be the problem. But I have absolutely
no problems with 8.3, so it looks like some regression during further
development (shift to CAM, maybe?).

Please help me to identify and fix the problem.

--

Kind regards, Yuriy.