Re: nvi: <tab> can't be used in the context of substitute

From: Zhihao Yuan <lichray_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2014 06:54:49 -0500
On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 6:04 AM, Xin Li <delphij_at_delphij.net> wrote:
> It looks like the new nvi version don't accept <tab> in the context of
> substitute.  A minimal use case would be to replace all leading 8
> spaces with tabs, what one would do on older version of nvi would be:
>
> : 1,$ s/^        /<tab>/g
>
> Now, with nvi in FreeBSD 10.x+, entering <tab> won't yield the <tab>
> character.  This seems to be a regression from older nvi version.
>
> Is this a known issue, or did I missed something?

The <tab> key in last line mode is now mapped to the filename
completion by default.  The feature itself exisits in old nvi, but was
off by default.  Currently, to input <tab> in last line, you can either

  <C-v><C-v><tab>

which performs escape, or

  :se filec=<some other key, or empty to disable completion>

The completion code is not as smart as that in vim, which
can detect the context.  I think at least I should limit the
completion to the commands which need a filename, like
next, cd, edit, script, source, read.

I opened an issue for this:

  https://github.com/lichray/nvi2/issues/15

Thank you for reporting.