Re: Too low PTHREAD_STACK_MIN value?

From: David Chisnall <theraven_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 09:38:19 +0900
On 12 Mar 2014, at 02:07, Roger Pau Monné <roger.pau_at_citrix.com> wrote:

> I've found out that the value PTHREAD_STACK_MIN is currently set (2048
> bytes) seems to be way too low

This looks like an error in your code.  The spec says:

> PTHREAD_STACK_MIN
> Minimum size in bytes of thread stack storage.
> Minimum Acceptable Value: 0

It is meant to be the minimum value that the system can give for a thread stack.  The purpose of this constant is for languages that do their own stack management bit some chain of activation records of segmented stacks, but want to use pthreads for threading, so that they can allocate the smallest possible stack that allows pthread cleanup to work.

Using it from C code is very likely to be a mistake.

David