Re: [HEADSUP] pkg 1.3.0 alpha1: Breath of fresh air from Kirov

From: Baptiste Daroussin <bapt_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 18:51:06 +0100
On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 11:40:52AM -0600, John Nielsen wrote:
> Looks great! Thanks as always for the work. I do have one question (below).
>
> On Mar 17, 2014, at 11:21 AM, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > - Remove support for PACKAGESITE
>
> There are two cases where I still define PACKAGESITE in the environment, specifically when building new jails or VM images. Can you suggest alternatives?
>
> 1. Installing/bootstrapping the latest pkg from a specific source. Often I build in an environment that is firewalled from the Internet at large but I have a local repo. (And it's nice to know exactly what version with which options I'm installing.)

What is done in the FreeBSD DVD is creatign a conf files manually:
	url: "http://where"
}

and env REPOS_DIR=/path/to/the/directory/containing/the/file pkg ...

> 2. Installing a package that includes a repo file for my local custom repo. This is a chicken-and-egg problem for which PACKAGESITE was a nice solution since there's no risk of a stale repo file being left behind--either the package is installed (with the correct/current repo file) or it isn't.

same as above or if you already have pkg bootstrapped you can do pkg add http://...../yourpkg.txz
which makes me see that 1.3.0.a1 has lost pkg add|install http://... which we
need to fix for alpha2

Thanks for the first bug report. :)