Re: geli TRIM support

From: Miguel Clara <miguelmclara_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 17:41:17 +0000
As I mention the laptop has TWO drives: 1 HDD and 1 SSD, which was why I
wanted to try this setup.

But firstly I don't wan't geli+trim so I use the full HDD with zfs+geli,
which means the SSD would be unused!

Before this setup I was using the SSD for the "system" with UFS+trim+geli,
but later I found that geli has no support for trim. and since my HDD had
to be replaced, It got me thinking why not try to use a diferent setup
myself...

Its true that the boot is much faster in a SSD, but my current setup is
defiantly not slow, and I have enough memory just with the usually daily
usage, thing get different if I use ccache and start compiling stuff of
course!

In any case what you point out about L2ARC (writes instead of reads) does
concern me, and was something I was aware off, and that's why I keep
regular backups, its mainly to test if the SSD can or cannot handle it (at
least until its on warranty).

As for the ZIL, I was under the impression that the purpose is not cache,
but to protect from data loss, am I wrong?
I found a very interesting article about this actually:
http://nex7.blogspot.nl/2013/04/zfs-intent-log.html.

Also my SSD has 19GB and AFAICT I wouldn't need that mcuh for the ZIL, so
why not partiton it?!

Anyway this is getting of topic, so perhaps we can continue this discussing
in other topic, I would really like to read you're toughs on this Alan, I
am also awaere that illumos already supports persistent L2ARC, I would be
interested to know when this will be possible on FreeBSD, but back to the
geli issue... It would be nice to have TRIM+GELI support, cause in that
case I can use the full SSD with UFS for the system and keep ports and
other DATA on the HDD, since I wouldn't need fast access to those!

Thanks