Re: Call for testers: SNMPv3 support for bsnmpd(1)

From: Shteryana Shopova <syrinx_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 17:09:38 +0300
Hi all,

The modules implementing SNMPv3 in bsnmpd(1) are snmp_usm(3),
snmp_vacm(3) and snmp_target(3) all based on standard RFC. snmp_usm(3)
handles v1/v2c and v3 user configuration including user name,
auth/priv protocol type and relevant keys. snmp_vacm(3) allows
restricting users to specific parts of the MIB tree, and
snmp_target(3) allows configuring destination hosts for SNMP traps and
notifications.

To get SNMPv3 traps, snmp_target(3) module needs to be loaded - the
default /etc/snmpd.config file contains commented out example
configuration, looking at snmp_target(3) man page should give some
hints too - basicly you need to set at least one entry in
snmpTargetAddrTable containing relevant connection parameters for the
host that should receive the notifications, one snmpTargetParamsTable
specifying the USM user credentials that should be used and one entry
in  snmpNotifyTable specifying for which tag whether a trap or
notification should be sent.
RFC 3413 also contains examples on how to fill in the SNMP-NOTIFICATION-MIB .

The standard SNMPv3 modules are somewhat too complicated for most
configurations though, so I've had the idea to implement a private
Begemot module with much simpler configuration that will fill
automatically the standard MIB trees with v3 user configuration but I
haven't gotten to actually implementing it yet.

cheers,
Shteryana