Re: Leaving the Desktop Market

From: Kevin Oberman <rkoberman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2014 22:53:45 -0700
On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 9:49 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Well, hardware got better. A lot better. I'm happy to leave speedstep
> and throttling in there but teach powerd about using C-states and
> limited frequency stepping if it's available.
>
> So, how about something like this:
>
> * if C states are available - let's just use C states and not step the
> cpu frequency at all;

C-states are great and I suspect that just C-states will do about as well
as anything. I can't prove it, but I suspect using P-states with C is a
bigger win, depending on load.

> * if turboboost is available - enable that, and disable it if we
> notice the CPU runs at the higher frequency for too long;

I think that ACPI already limits runtime in turboboost mode.,

* use cpufreq with some heuristics (like say, only step down to 2/3rd
> the frequency if idle) - and document why that decision is made (eg on
> CPU X, measuring Y at idle, power consumption was minimal at
> frequency=Z.);

Use CPUfreq to support available P-states.I trust that the good engineers
at Intel knew what they were doing when they set them up on a given CPU.
C-states  Of course, only C-states should be used by cpufreq... not TCC or
throttling.

> * make sure the lower frequencies and tcc kick in if a thermal cutoff
> is reached;

I tought that this was an automatic function if not disabled by ACPI.

* default to using lower Cx states out of the box if they're decided
> to not be buggy. There are a few CPUs for which lower C states cause
> problems but modernish hardware (say, nehalem and later) should be
> fine.

Assuming we leave throttling/TCC out of it, I don't see any reason that ANY
CPU with C-state capability should not run Cmax. I have never had any issue
withe just C-states and P-states.It only seems to be an issue when combined
with lowering thottling/TCC to low values. If the CPU gets so hot that TCC
gets down to under 25% of the lowest p-state speed, something is very, very
wrong with the hardware.