Re: Leaving the Desktop Market

From: Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 04 May 2014 10:07:57 -0700
On 05/04/14 10:05, Allan Jude wrote:
> On 2014-05-04 11:47, Allan Jude wrote:

>>> Re/ powerd I have in /etc/rc.conf:
>>>
>>> # powerd
>>> powerd_enable="YES"
>>> powerd_flags="-a max -b adp"
>>> #
>>> performance_cx_lowest="Cmax"
>>> economy_cx_lowest="Cmax"
>>>
>>> (and the additional hint.* in /boot/loader.conf as well). Which process
>>> 'performance_cx_lowest' and 'economy_cx_lowest' target exactly as config
>>> values?
>>>
>>> Thx
>>>
>>> 	matthias
>>>
>> In a pretty unscientific test on my laptop (Lenovo T530 with Intel i5
>> 3320M), setting hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest=C8 lowered power consumption at
>> idle by about 3 watts, which adds about 30-45 minutes to my battery life
>> during conservative usage.
>>
>> Using PCBSD 10, so hint.acpi_throttle.0.disabled=1 was already set
>> (apparently solves some issue with powerd on some AMD systems)
>>
>> I have added hint.p4tcc.0.disabled=1 but not sure where to expect to see
>> a difference.
>>
> I see the difference now, with the p4tcc stuff disabled, the lowest
> cpufreq is now 1200mhz instead of 150mhz

I just set the default for acpi_throttle and p4tcc in HEAD to disabled
by adding these line to the default /boot/device.hints. If you want them
back, editing your device.hints will restore them. This can be reverted
if many people want throttling enabled by default, but all I have heard
so far -- and for the past many years -- is a unanimous chorus to turn
it off.
-Nathan