Re: [rfc] bind per-cpu timeout threads to each CPU

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 12:33:58 -0700
On 9 May 2014 10:49, John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Thursday, May 08, 2014 11:43:39 pm Adrian Chadd wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to revisit this now.
>>
>> I'd like to commit this stuff as-is and then take some time to revisit
>> the catch-all softclock from cpu0 swi. It's more complicated than it
>> needs to be as it just assumes timeout_cpu == cpuid of cpu 0. So
>> there's no easy way to slide in a new catch-all softclock.
>>
>> Once that's done I'd like to then experiment with turning on the pcpu
>> tcp timer stuff and gluing that into the RSS CPU ID / netisr ID stuff.
>>
>> Thanks,
>
> To be clear, are you going to commit the change to bind all but CPU 0
> to their CPU but let the "default" swi float for now?  I think that is
> fine to commit, but I wouldn't want to bind the "default" swi for now.

I'd like to do it in the other order and bind everything, so things
like the per-CPU TCP timer thing can be flipped on for RSS and
actually be useful.

I'm looking into what it'd take to create a separate default swi as
well as a cpu-0 swi but as I said, it's pretty hairy there.

How about i instead do the comprimise:

* i'll pin all other swi's
* default swi isn't pinned by default, but one can flip on a sysctl at
boot time to pin it

How's that sound?

-a