Re: Thinkpad T410: resume broken

From: Jan Henrik Sylvester <me_at_janh.de>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 22:31:28 +0200
On 05/16/2014 20:10, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 10:44 AM, Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I wonder what changed between 9.2-RELEASE and 10.0-RELEASE.
>>
>> Please poke me about this next week. I'm busy this week with work and
>> maker faire but I will try to help you later.
>>
>> (It's possible something like ACPI updates or a driver update has
>> broken things.)
>>

>> -a
>>

> Does your kernel include VESA? My T320 behaved as you describe until I
> removed VESA from my kernel. I think using vt may also fix this without the
> need to remove VESA, bug I have not gotten around to confirming this.

(Sorry, this is more or less a lengthy "me, too":)

I am observing exactly the same on my T510 (not surprisingly, as it is
basically the same with a different screen size) using Nvidia (in
contract to most other recent mailing list reports, which are using Intel).

>From 8.1-RELEASE to 9.2-RELEASE, suspend and resume used to work with a
generic kernel (I like generic release kernels and freebsd-update) --
except for a short time, which was due to the Xorg port. Especially
9.X-RELEASE were really stable with all the hardware working after
resume (maybe except firewire).

After going to 10.0-RELEASE, resuming would briefly turn the screen on,
but it would go back to black with the power LED continuing to blink (as
it does while sleeping). After a while, I realized that I lost the
non-default option ACPI_PM for x11/nvidia-driver installing 10.0.

With ACPI_PM for x11/nvidia-driver, I had at least one resume with most
of the hardware working: The screen was still unusable being static with
colorful lines, but I could ssh into the machine over wireless.

I have not had time to try 10-STABLE with vt, but from reading various
reports on the lists, that is probably the only way.

I hope there will be a vt enabled kernel on the 10.1-RELEAS media, if vt
is going to be required even for configurations that would work just
fine on 9.X (WITH_NEW_XORG=yes is very usable with x11/nvidia-driver
even without vt).

>From what you said, you already have ACPI_PM for x11/nvidia-driver as it
is listed on the wiki. Have you?

Cheers,