Re: CURRENT: WARNING! r273914 leaves filesystems in inconsistent/corrupted condition!

From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2014 18:03:03 +0100
Ian Lepore <ian_at_FreeBSD.org> writes:
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no> writes:
> > I think you misremember.  It is impossible to guarantee that the
> > system will always have enough entropy right from the start.
> > Servers, desktops and laptops will be fine, but embedded systems and
> > VMs might not be able to unblock until they've seen some network
> > traffic or loaded a chunk of pre-generated entropy (which is what
> > /etc/rc.d/random does).  This is especially true for embedded
> > systems that don't have enumerable buses and rely on fdt(4) to
> > create the device tree at boot time.
> And what about devices that are not connected to a network?

They still get entropy from interrupts and disk I/O.

> Oh well, I'm sure I'll be able to find some hacks to undo whatever
> y'all have done now, and we'll just have to carry them as local diffs
> forever.

How about you take a ****ing chill pill and read what I wrote earlier:
this is a regression which we will try to fix.  But the bottom line is
that the entropy has to come from *somewhere* and if whatever dinky
device you're playing with doesn't provide any, that's not our fault.
Buy http://www.amazon.com/dp/0833030477 and type it in, or something.
We're engineers, not magicians.

(or maybe you can do something constructive, like write code to harvest
entropy from background noise in ADCs, unused WiFi / 4G / BT radios or
whatever else is available and submit a patch)

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des_at_des.no