Re: CTF: geom gate network patch

From: Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen_at_fabiankeil.de>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 14:08:48 +0100
John-Mark Gurney <jmg_at_funkthat.com> wrote:

> John-Mark Gurney wrote this message on Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 09:58 -0700:

> > I did some work at this a while back... and if you're interested in
> > improving performance and willing to do some testing... I can send you
> > some patches..
> >
> > There are a couple issues that I know about..
> >
> > First, ggate specificly sets the buffer sizes, which disables the
> > autosizing of TCP's window.. This means that if you have a high latency,
> > high bandwidth link, you'll be limited to 128k / rtt of bandwidth.
> >
> > Second is that ggate isn't issueing multiple IOs at a time.  This means
> > that any NCQ or tagging isn't able to be used, where as when running
> > natively they can be used...
>
> I've attached a patch I would like other ggate users to test and
> verify that there aren't bugs, or performance regressions by using
> this patch.
>
> The patch is also available at:
> https://www.funkthat.com/~jmg/patches/ggate.patch

I tested the patch on a recent 11-CURRENT system (ggatec/ggated)
and a 9.0-CURRENT system from 2009 (only ggated) and didn't notice
any problems.

The patch didn't seem to affect the performance either way,
but then again I'm using slow disks and ssh so I didn't expect
geom gate to be the bottle neck.

Fabian