Re: HEADS UP: Enabling vt(4) by default

From: Chris H <bsd-lists_at_bsdforge.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 13:27:59 -0800
On Wed, 5 Nov 2014 12:55:51 -0700 (MST) Warren Block <wblock_at_wonkity.com> wrote

> On Wed, 5 Nov 2014, Chris H wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 5 Nov 2014 08:15:04 -0700 (MST) Warren Block <wblock_at_wonkity.com>
> > wrote >

> >> Or Intel, or anything with KMS drivers.
> >
> > Thanks. Everything I manage, is using nVidia. Looks like
> > the kms VESA might work. But I'm not sure if there would
> > be any appreciable gain going that route (assuming it's even
> > possible).
>
> It's worth asking Nvidia directly.  I would not be optimistic about
> that, but it's easy to try, and they might surprise everyone.
>
> Another option might be nouveau.  Don't know the current status of
> whether that works on FreeBSD, though.
LOL funny you should bring that up, just now.
Prior to a fresh install on bare metal. I always boot to a gpartd
CD. I use it to easily see, and quickly blank the disk(s). I only
choose it, because it's quick-n-easy. It is also the perfect tool
to wipe that evil grub[2] off the MBR. Which has given me no end
of grief after evaluating some Linux distro. Anyhow, point being;
the desktop is powered by nouveau. I've never had an issue with it,
and it always seems to pick the "right" resolution/frequency. So,
because of that. I was already thinking of investigating that route.
As to talking to nVidia. My past experiences in that regard were,
shall I say; less than ideal. They're always friendly. But getting
anything that might "uncover" any coveted driver info, always fell
short of helpful. :)

Thanks for the reply, and helpful information, Warren.

--Chris