Re: dev_lock() contention for fdesc syscalls -- possible fix

From: Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 12:34:13 +0200
On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 10:44:12AM +0100, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> [...]
> > >         devfs_fp_check(fp, ...) -->
> > >             kern/kern_conf.c :: devvn_refthread(fp->f_vnode, ...) -->
> > >                 dev_lock();
> > >                 dev = vp->v_rdev; // lock on vp ?
> > >                 ... check that dev != NULL
> > >                 atomic_add_long(&dev->si_threadcount, 1);
> > >                 dev_unlock();
> > >         dsw->d_poll()
> > >         dev_relthread() -->
> > >             atomic_subtract_rel_long(&dev->si_threadcount, 1);
> > >    }
> > >

> > > I believe that dev_lock() in devvn_refthread() is protecting
> > >         dev = vp->v_rdev
> > > (the cdev entry 'dev' cannot go away for the reasons stated below).
> > >
> > > However looking at places where vp->v_rdev is modified, turns out
> > > that it only happens when holding VI_LOCK(vp) -- the places are
> > > devfs_allocv() and devfs_reclaim().
> > > There is one place in zfs where the vnode is created and v_rdev
> > > is set without holding a lock, so nobody can dereference it.
> > >
> > > As a consequence i believe that if in devfs_fp_check() we replace
> > > dev_lock() / dev_unlock() with VI_LOCK(vp) / VI_UNLOCK(vp),
> > > we make sure that we can safely dereference vp->v_rdev, and the
> > > cdev cannot go away because the vnode has a reference to it.
> > > The counter uses an atomic instruction (so the release is lockless)
> > Vnode reference, as well as cdev reference, which is obtained by
> > dev_ref(), do not provide any protection there.  v_rdev is only
> > coincidentally protected by the vnode interlock.
> >
> > If you look at larger part of the code, you would note that dev mutex
> > is held even after v_rdev is dereferenced.  The real protection it
> > provides is against race with destroy_dev(l)(), which could invalidate
> > dev->so_devsw at any moment when either device thread reference is
> > not held, or dev mutex is not held.  So your patch breaks the
> > device destruction.
>
> I see. Thanks for the clarification.
>
> Would it help to rewrite the part of devvn_refthread as follows:
>
>     devvn_refthread() {
> 	// protect vp->v_rdev dereference and dev disappearing
> 	VI_LOCK(vp);
> 	dev = vi->v_rdev;
> 	.. check that dev != NULL
> 	// protect the race on dev->si_devsw
> 	atomic_add_long(&dev->si_threadcount, 1);
> 	VI_UNLOCK(vp);
> 	... appropriate memory barrier
> 	csw = dev->si_devsw;
> 	if (csw != NULL) {
> 		// we won the race, even if destroy_devl() runs
> 		// it will keep the cdevsw alive until si_threadcount goes to 0
> 		*devp = dev;
> 		*ref = 1;
> 	} else {
> 		// we lost
> 		*ref = 0;
> 	}
> 	return csw;
>     }
>
> i.e.  tentatively increment si_threadcount before dereferencing si_devsw
> and then restoring it if we lose the race ?
> It might be necessary to add a barrier in destroy_devl() between clearing
Sure it is neccessary to add a barrier in destroy_devl() then.

>From the first look, this might work, but how would you handle the
possibility that cdev memory is already freed when you do the increment ?
The vnode interlock does not protect against it; if you mean that
vnode reclamation already happen and vp->v_rdev must be cleared, this
might need some additional argumentation.

Note that the real patch is more involved, since both dev_refthread()
and devvn_refthread() should be handled. Also, there is some ugly hack
in sound/clone.c.

> > > This should be enough to remove the contention.
> > If you never calls destroy_dev() for the devfs node, you could use
> > MAKEDEV_ETERNAL flag for make_dev_credf(), which indicates that there
> > is no risk of race with destroy_dev() for the created node.
> >
> > Usually, code which could be compiled in kernel statically but also
> > loaded as module, use MAKEDEV_ETERNAL_KLD flag, which takes care of
> > module needed to call destroy_dev().
>
> that I suppose would mean that the module cannot be safely unloaded ?

Well, you are not supposed to use MAKEDEV_ETERNAL for loadable modules
at all.  This is what MAKEDEV_ETERNAL_KLD ensures.