Re: netmap: extension to store user data per packet/slot?

From: Franco Fichtner <franco_at_lastsummer.de>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 23:01:24 +0100
On 11 Nov 2014, at 22:48, Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> Ah, I see. You're missing some unique identifier for each netmap
> buffer. I thought there was one already. Silly me.

Exactly, and, no, thank you for making clear what is needed.  :)

A little more on this: I think struct netmap_slot is convenient
due to the fact that in zero-copy one wouldn't want to mess with
the actual buffer for speed and userland code already touches slot
internals for each ring transition so there is no performance
degradation.

The key benefit is that if userland can use this storage freely
netmap(4) doesn't get in the way of building complex setups that
require decoupled logic and each ring "hop" may alter the state
as required.

Cheers,
Franco