comments on code-in tasks for FreeBSD (Re: FreeBSD + Google Code-In 2014 = we need ideas.)

From: Luigi Rizzo <rizzo_at_iet.unipi.it>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 17:40:00 -0800
On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 5:06 PM, Wojciech A. Koszek <wkoszek_at_freebsd.org>
wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 01:56:27PM -0700, Alan Somers wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 8:59 PM, Wojciech A. Koszek <wkoszek_at_freebsd.org>
> wrote:
> > > Hello,
>
> BTW, FYI:
>
> We didn't make it this year.
>
> Judging by the GSoC 2014 Reunion, there is a lot of seasoned Orgs which
> treat GCIN very seriously, so I think if we plan to participate, it'll be a
> lot of effort to compete with them
>
> Anyway: thanks for the tasks which were submitted. I will put them in Wiki
> for the reference,

​hi,
i meant to send this email before but given the outcome this seems
a good time to prepare for next year.

I have been looking at tasks to submit (especially coding,
but not just those)
and looking at other organisations who participated in past years,
i believe that FreeBSD (with its C- and kernel- centric environment)
is a poor match for code-in, specifically due to the young age and
predictable lack of expertise of most of the participants, and the
small size of the tasks.

In my view, most of the documentation tasks listed in the wiki

https://wiki.freebsd.org/GoogleCodeIn/2014Tasks

are
not approachable by students -- they require experience and knowledge of
compilers, subsystems and development techniques that are unlikely
to exist for teenagers.

When it comes to programming tasks, again the list has entries
simply beyond the ability of the students. First three tasks: "static
analysis
for kernel locking", "static analysis of kernel conventions", "profile
libc++".

These are important tasks, but they just do not belong here.

As a rule of thumb i would say that anything that is in the list should
not take more than 2-3 hours/half a day to an experienced developer,
be accompanied by a detailed description on what to do and how, and by
a commitment from the mentor to review it.

Also, if we want to suggest some coding task, it is important
that we can give students a preloaded OS image with all the tools
and repos they may need for their work, otherwise they end up spending
a lot of time setting up the environment and possibly making mistakes
in the process that prevent a correct completion of the work.
Sure we ship with compilers and make, but we miss svn/git,
an embedded snapshot of source and ports tree, and now that we can,
also a bhyve or qemu example to help them testing kernels.

Finally, we should shift the approach from "something we need" to
"something can be a useful exercise for the students" even
if it replicates features that already exist in the OS.
That might perhaps lead to smaller, better and easier to define tasks
with a better chance to be completed.

Lacking any better idea (which I don't have because as i said
i think FreeBSD just is not a good match for this competition),
we could take some specific bug reports, and provide details
and hints for solutions.

But please nuke the current list -- it is completely inadequate
for the code-in candidates and misleading for whoever wants to
suggest new tasks. Again i am not saying that the projects
suggested there are not important, just belong somewhere else
e.g. gsoc.

​cheers
luigi
​