Re: USB locks up system -- WAS Re: shutdown or acpi problem

From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 07:53:11 +0100
Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu> writes:
> I'll try that tomorrow.  But, I now know that this is related to using
> hal from ports.  If I comment out both enable_dbus and enable_hal in
> /etc/rc.conf, the system works as I would expect (ie., usb now works
> for unplugging devices!).  I further suspect that the problems lies in
> hal_probe_storage, but haven't got too much further.

HAL: the gift that keeps on giving.  It also has this wonderful feature
where it prevents you from unmounting anything you've ever mounted,
because it watches for new mountpoints in the system, opens them, and
keeps the file descriptors open indefinitely.

I know this isn't really germane, but I just couldn't pass up a chance
to complain about HAL.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des_at_des.no