Re: comments on code-in tasks for FreeBSD (Re: FreeBSD + Google Code-In 2014 = we need ideas.)

From: Alfred Perlstein <bright_at_mu.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 08:53:59 -0800
On 11/17/14, 6:55 AM, Chris H wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Nov 2014 19:55:16 -0800 Rui Paulo <rpaulo_at_me.com> wrote
>
>> On Nov 13, 2014, at 17:40, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo_at_iet.unipi.it> wrote:
>>> But please nuke the current list -- it is completely inadequate
>>> for the code-in candidates and misleading for whoever wants to
>>> suggest new tasks. Again i am not saying that the projects
>>> suggested there are not important, just belong somewhere else
>>> e.g. gsoc.
>> I refrained from voicing my opinion while the call for help was going on, but
>> I completely agree that the target age of this Google initiative is
>> inadequate to FreeBSD.  The target population is 13 years to 17 years old and
>> I cannot even imagine a 13 year old knowing what FreeBSD is.
>>
>> I'm not sure we should participate in Code In ever again and perhaps we
>> should focus our efforts on Summer of Code only.
> _at_Luigi
> Very insightful. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. :)
>
> _at_Rui
> Would tasks in re, or Mk/ be too far off base?

[[ cc'd Kris ]]

Maybe PCBSD has some ideas for code-in?  It's a bit easier on newbies
than FreeBSD.

Mind you, I was using FreeBSD at 19 years old (would have used it
earlier if I'd know about it), coding in assembler at 14... so there are
people out there.  I just think for it to be something people will want
to do it's going to be less "edit these text files to improve process"
and more "make dancing daemons happen on the console."

-Alfred