Re: What do you use for kernel debugging?

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 12:12:22 -0700
On 1 October 2014 03:12, Hans Petter Selasky <hps_at_selasky.org> wrote:
> On 10/01/14 07:03, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>>
>> There's also something for XHCI.
>>
>> Please please write it for freebsd. :)
>>

> Hi,
>
> The FreeBSD bootloader can run a regular USB stack which connects to the
> XHCI/EHCI and any supported serial adapter for example. What is currently
> missing is some PCI pieces to attach the drivers. You don't need the USB
> debug port to get keyboard/console input.

We actually _want_ the debug port support.

The EHCI/XHCI debugging stuff is separate from the whole normal USB
stack and is really designed for lower level debugging - ie, when
everything is actually busted.

Think of it as being the polled conduit for doing remote kgdb and
(hopefully, with the XHCI stuff) remote memory inspection when things
go off the deep end.

-a