Re: Need help fixing tests in CURRENT

From: Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2014 16:38:31 -0700
On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 4:30 PM, NGie Cooper <yaneurabeya_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 2:04 PM, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc_at_freebsd.org>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > After committing this fix to yacc in HEAD (
> > https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/svn-src-all/2014-October/092553.html
> )
> > I've been able to do:  "cd /usr/tests; kyua test"
> >
> > and get 0 test failures:
> >

> https://jenkins.freebsd.org/jenkins/job/FreeBSD_HEAD-tests2/16/testReport/
>
>     Awesome -- hopefully this will be sustained for several runs (this
> is part of the reason why I haven't integrated all of the NetBSD tests
> yet).
> Thank you for all your work in getting us to green!

For any type of test framework, if the tests aren't run regularly
and reported in an easy to understand manner,
then the tests will bitrot and people will ignore them.

I've seen this happen in multiple companies I have worked at.

Hopefully we can do better with FreeBSD, and foster a community
of people who are actively updating the tests, and taking test failures
seriously.

If we don't do this, then people will just ignore the tests.
--
Craig