Re: Voxer using FreeBSD, BSDNow.tv interview

From: Philip M. Gollucci <pgollucci_at_p6m7g8.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 19:18:45 -0400
Not true, you can roll your own omnibus chef builds with this fixed.

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Rainer Duffner <rainer_at_ultra-secure.de>
wrote:

> > Am 20.10.2014 um 10:19 schrieb David Chisnall <theraven_at_FreeBSD.org>:
> >

> > I presume that most of the relevant differences are for users /
> developers and not sysadmins?  It's worth noting that GNU coreutils, tar,
> bash, and a load of other things are in the ports repository.  I wonder if
> it's worth having a gnu-userland metaport, perhaps with something like the
> Solaris approach of sticking them all in a different tree so that you can
> just add that to the start of your PATH and have all of the GNU tools work
> by default.
> >

> They use chef.
> The chef omnibus installer assumes there is a /bin/bash. Even the FreeBSD
> version of it. Well, it least it did the last time I looked. Maybe this got
> fixed in the meantime.
> Which means that to „bootstrap“ a node, you’ve first got to install pkg on
> it, install bash, symlink it to /bin/bash and then bootstrap the node.
> Which kind of runs against the concept of doing everything via chef.

> "

TaxiMagic Mobile App
$10 Promo Code - 'p6magic' any 1st time rider can use it
$ 5 Promo Code - 'cabbie' - thanks New Castle!
4096R/D1EAB94D 2081 E230 3001 6508 8847  1BBF A0A8 DB0F D1EA B94D
Philip M. Gollucci (pgollucci_at_p6m7g8.com) c: 703.336.9354
Member,                           Apache Software Foundation
Committer,                        FreeBSD Foundation
Consultant,                       P6M7G8 Inc.
Sr. Director IT Operations,       RideCharge Inc.

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.