Re: Jenkins, Kyua, and Bhyve used for FreeBSD OS testing

From: Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 22:34:50 -0700
Hi,

Thanks for those kind words, Alfred!  I would like to point out a few
things.

(1)  Jenkins team are really easy to work with, and I've been pushing fixes
upstream to them, such as:
        https://github.com/jenkinsci/jenkins/pull/1387 which fixes shared
library support on FreeBSD, Windows, Linux/ARM, Linux/PPC.

       Jenkins has something called the Jenkins Pull Request builder, so
that when you submit a patch to them
       via a Github Pull Request, it checks out the Jenkins source, patches
it, builds it, and runs automated tests.
       This helps the Jenkins team to decide whether to pull in a patch or
not.
        It's quick, easy, works well........and honestly, makes working
with an open source project fun!

        Unfortunately, working with FreeBSD can seem to be antiquated and a
drudgery in comparison, but things
        are improving with things like Phabricator and Bugzilla.

(2)  By fixing up the unit tests and paying attention to failures, I've
found real problems that need to be fixed.
       The yacc unit tests started failing after recent imports of byacc.
I traced down the problem,
       and reported it upstream to Thomas Dickey who maintains byacc.  He
fixed the problem
       (see http://invisible-island.net/byacc/CHANGES 2014-10-05 and
2014-10-06) and I confirmed
       that fixed the unit tests.  We have the fixed byacc in HEAD and
stable/10 branches.

Although I've got the ball rolling, hopefully more people in the FreeBSD
community
can help out by writing tests, paying attention to test failures, helping
out with devops issues related to
Jenkins, etc.  For folks interested, hop on freebsd-testing_at_freebsd.org and
help pitch in!

--
Craig