Re: HEADS UP: Standalone kernel debug files moving out of /boot/kernel/

From: Ed Maste <emaste_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 10:17:33 -0400
On 29 October 2014 05:05, David Chisnall <theraven_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 29 Oct 2014, at 03:11, Ed Maste <emaste_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> /usr/lib/debug is the standard location for standalone debug data
>> established by GDB, and seems like a decent enough location. I'll make
>> sure to update the man page.
>
> Do gdb and lldb also look in /usr/local/lib/debug?  If not, it would be great if we could at least teach lldb to do this so that we can start thinking about splitting debug info into separate packages for ports (and providing it as an optional install for everything).

Not yet, but it's trivial to add for at least LLDB. My end goal is
what you describe - kernel, base system userland, and packages/ports
can all provide standalone debug packages which will install to a
consistent and well-known location, and be picked up automatically by
the debugger.

Part of this project depends on moving past our old binutils though,
so we can start using the build-id ELF note to link the executable or
library with its associated debug data.