Re: buildkernel: make[2]: exec(ctfconvert) failed (No such file or directory)

From: Garrett Cooper <yaneurabeya_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 11:16:23 -0700
> On Oct 29, 2014, at 10:44, Mark Johnston <markj_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 09:18:58AM -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>>
>>> On Oct 29, 2014, at 07:42, Ian Lepore <ian_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:

>>> Why are you the only person in the world who has had to do this?
>>
>> They're not the only one. $work is running into an issue where there's a mismatch between the host and build version which is generating corrupt ctf sections.
>>
>> I thought it had been fixed on CURRENT recently, but the converse might be true--it might have been broken because it's no longer being built as part of the bootstrap tools process.
>
> Are you referring to r266567? I'm looking at whether we could
> unconditionally add ctf* to the bootstrap tools. That would address the
> OP's problem I think, as well as the corruption issue.
>

>> My gut says that this section is prematurely optimizing it out of the build, because it's assumed that the host tool will always be binary compatible with the build tool:
>> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/Makefile.inc1?annotate=273755#l1270

Yes. ctfconvert always needs to be built with the build tree version instead of relying on the host version because using the host version will break if/when the ctf format between the build and host machine changes. Some care might need to be taken with the library dependencies for ctfconvert, but libelf is a relatively simple library from what I remember...

Thank you!