Re: HEADS UP: Standalone kernel debug files moving out of /boot/kernel/

From: Julian Elischer <julian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 10:53:11 +0800
On 10/30/14, 10:32 AM, Steve Kargl wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 03:15:50PM -0400, Ed Maste wrote:
>> On 29 October 2014 12:49, Steven Hartland <killing_at_multiplay.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Hmm not sure I like this idea as it would make it more difficult to make a
>>> copy / backup a kernel.
>>>
>>> ATM when I want to copy a kernel for debugging its a one liner, splitting
>>> debug symbols off to /usr/lib would prevent this.
>> To retain the current behaviour you can set DEBUGDIR= (i.e., empty),
>> as the debug file install path is ${DESTDIR}${DEBUGDIR}${KODIR}.
> No, you can't.
>
> su root
> cp -pR /boot/kernel /boot/good
>
> Where does DEBUGDIR enter the picture?  The above will copy
> both kernel and kernel.symbol to /boot/good.  With your scheme
> one loses kernel.symbol (along with all other *.symbol files?).
> If one escapes to the boot prompt, she can do 'boot /boot/good/kernel',
> will the boot process automatically find a (nonexistant?)
> /usr/lib/boot/good/kernel.symbol.
you can also set "KERNEL" in the make and it will install to
/boot/$KERNEL/

It would need to put the symbols in /usr/lib/...$KERNEL/ as well, and
then you are bound to get confusion when you copy the new kernel to
the default place when you tested it.  maybe put a symlink in the
kernel directory and follow that? keeping symbols and kernel in sync
is going to get a lot more complicated.