Re: [RFC] Patch to improve TSO limitation formula in general

From: Rick Macklem <rmacklem_at_uoguelph.ca>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 19:21:15 -0400 (EDT)
Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> On 09/06/14 00:09, Rick Macklem wrote:
> > Hans Petter Selesky wrote:

> >> Hi Eric,
> >>
> >> Multiplying by powers of two are more fast, than non-powers of
> >> two.
> >> So
> >> in this case you would have to use 8KB as a maximum.
> >>
> > Well, I'm no architecture expert, but I really doubt the CPU delay
> > of a
> > non-power of 2 multiply/divide is significant related to doing
> > smaller
> > TSO segments. Long ago (as in 1970s) I did work on machines where
> > shifts
> > for power of 2 multiply/divide was preferable, but these days I
> > doubt it
> > is going to matter??
> >

> Hi,
>
> You also need to patch LAGG and VLAN drivers?

Yep. I already ran into the fact that these drivers didn't pass
if_hw_tsomax up and patched them for that recently. The same will
be necessary for if_hw_tsomaxseg if/when it goes into head.

As I said, this patch is currently completely untested and, even
once I get it tested/working, there will need to be a discussion
on freebsd-net_at_ w.r.t. whether it is appropriate for head.

I will take a look at your patch around Monday.

Btw, when setting if_hw_tsomax as I suggested in the first post,
you will still end up doing a lot of m_defrag() calls for NFS
RPC messages, but at least they will get through.

rick