service doen't get started at boottime, but can start manually

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2014 09:03:21 +0200
I use a service (textprox/refdb from ports, refdb_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf.local)
that is supposed to startup at boottime. On one CURRENT system, running

 FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #3 r271210: Sat Sep  6 22:39:59 CEST 2014 amd64

the service is not started at boottime, but I can start the service manually via

service refdb start

I tried enabling rc_debug=YES in /etc/rc.conf but I do not see any failure of the start
attempt of that specific service in the logs or on the console.

Is there an elegant way to debug rc.d and the startup procedure without having the system
reboot (I do not have jails or VM, sorry)?

oh