Re: UEFI cd boots, what it installs doesn't

From: Chris H <bsd-lists_at_bsdforge.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 09:28:35 -0700 (PDT)
> Hello Currents,
>
> I grabbed FreeBSD-11.0-CURRENT-amd64-20140903-r270990-disc1.iso, burned
> it to disk then booted from it. It boots up fine, and it goes through
> the install routine fine. The problem is, after the install is finished,
> when I try to boot the installed system, it gives me the option to
> select 0 or 1. Whatever I select, I get a flashing cursor then nothing.
> If I leave it at nothing eventually the bios asks what the problem is.
>
> What am I doing wrong? The board is an Asus Z87-PRO and the disks are
> Hitatchi 3TB drives. I'm trying to install to ad1, ad0 is a SSD. I've
> tried ad0 ad2 and ad3 to no avail.
>
> PC-BSD will install if the default options are chosen. It installs GRUB.
> Ubuntu 14 and Mint 17 also install. I don't want pc-bsd because it
> imposes zfs, all I need is freebsd with ufs and gconcat and also /var
> and /tmp on the ssd.
I've run into issues in the past, when attempting to install FreeBSD on
a disk that grub had been put on from another OS. I found that blowing
away the MBR, a couple of times, solved it.
More specifically; Writing a generic MSDOS type MBR on the disk. I've
forgotten the incantation. But it can be done from the live FreeBSD
install media, or the GPARTD CD, if you have one.

HTH

--Chris