Re: shells/bash port, add a knob which symlinks to /bin/bash ?

From: Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon_at_orthanc.ca>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 15:22:15 -0700
On Sep 12, 2014, at 2:40 PM, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> If you want interoperability just use /usr/bin/env bash as a shebang. Btw you
> cannot get interoprability with OS-X in there because the bash they do provide
> is the last GPL-2 recent bash have many incompatiblities with this old version.

The concern is not with shell scripts, it's with the contents of the pw_shell field in 'struct passwd'.

I run into this all the time, too, but with ksh.  In my case I just cp a static-linked version of whatever ksh variant I happened to build into /bin/ksh and call it a day.  It's not like the shell source code is changing every other week, even for bash.

--lyndon