Driver-specific debugging in buildkernel?

From: Thomas Mueller <mueller6724_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 19:56:16 -0700 (PDT)
I want to build a kernel with debugging for a specific device, rather than for everything.

Device of interest is re (Ethernet driver), also rsu (USB wlan adapter).

I looked in Makefiles, also NOTES files, found some xxxxDEBUG options but nothing really general that could be applied to any desired device in kernel or module.

Then I would need to know how to find this debugging information.

Tom