Re: [RFC] Patch to add Software/Generic Segmentation Offload (GSO) support in FreeBSD

From: Stefano Garzarella <stefanogarzarella_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 16:16:34 +0200
Hi Hans,
I saw the discussion about TSO, but the GSO is a software
implementation unrelated with the hardware.
Furthermore, if the TSO is enabled (and supported by the NIC), the GSO is
not executed, because is useless.

After the execution of the GSO, the packets, that are passed to the device
driver, are smaller (or equal) than MTU, so the TSO is unnecessary. For
this reason the GSO doesn't look neither "ifp->if_hw_tsomax" nor hardware
segment limits.

The GSO is very useful when you can't use the TSO.

Cheers,
Stefano

--
*Stefano Garzarella*