Re: CURRENT: EFI boot failure

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 22:13:12 +0200
Am Tue, 16 Sep 2014 02:05:41 +0200
"O. Hartmann" <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de> schrieb:

> Installing FreeBSD-11.0-CURRENT-amd64-20140903-r270990 on a Laptop works for UEFI fine.
> After I updated the sources to  r271649, recompiled world and kernel (as well as
> installed), now I get stuck with the screen message:
>
> >> FreeBSD EFI boot block
>    Loader path: /boot/loader.efi
>
> and nothing happens. After a couple of minutes, the system reboots.
>
> What happened and how can this problem be solved?

after today's "make world" (revision 271800) and two days of normal operation, I run into
the same situation as described above! This is more than annoying! The screen show simply

>> FreeBSD EFI boot block
   Loader path: /boot/loader.efi

and nothing happens forever. Usually, the loader/console shows up. This time the system
gets stuck as I reported earlier.

I can not afford another two days of installing the laptop again. How can I get rid of
this immature EFI and run the system in the traditional way? It seems two immature
systems meet each other, vt() and EFI and this ends up in a desaster.

What is the fallback procedure? How to save the system and circumvent this problem? Is
there a way to interrupt the boot process and drop out into some kind of emergency
screen/console?

BTW, I temporarily fixed this issu by copying the USB drive image's loader.efi into boot.
This seems to be a bug in the compiler/compiling loader.efi.