Re: x11/nvidia-driver (340.24/340.32/343.13): nvidia BLOB doesn't recognize any display socket on Lenovo E540/UEFI and FBSD CURRENT

From: Warren Block <wblock_at_wonkity.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2014 07:36:21 -0600 (MDT)
On Fri, 19 Sep 2014, O. Hartmann wrote:

> nVidia's BLOB from port x11/nvidia-driver seems to have problems in FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT
> #2 r271869: Fri Sep 19 13:28:03 CEST 2014 amd64, on Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E540 laptop with
> CPU i5-4200M (Haswell) with integrated HD4600 Intel iGPU and dedicated nVidia GT 740M
> (Optimus) working correctly.

Optimus is supposed to be full Intel graphics plus an Nvidia GPU.  The
extra GPU uses the same display memory and can be enabled to speed up
the Intel graphics or disabled for power saving.  I don't know if
versions where the Nvidia section is a full discrete video adapter that
can be used alone are still called "Optimus".

Some Optimus owners have reported being able to use the Intel drivers
after disabling the Nvidia GPU in the BIOS or UEFI.  If an option to
disable the Nvidia GPU is not present, some people have reported success
with an xorg.conf that uses only the intel driver and ignores the Nvidia
hardware.