What do you use for kernel debugging?

From: José Pérez Arauzo <fbl_at_aoek.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 09:34:43 +0200
Hello,
I am trying to track down a (deadlock?) issue in CURRENT via DDB. The kernel does
not complete hw probes on my Acer V5.

I get stuck on apic_isr looping which leads nowhere.

So I thought maybe things improve if I debug from another machine.

What do you use for kernel debugging? According to the handbook kgdb over serial
is a good option, do you agree? I'm on a netbook with no ethernet and no option
for firewire: can I have a USB / nullmodem setup to work?

I have no old-style uarts hardware anymore, as the handbook suggests...

Any idea is welcome before I buy extra hw. I have a USB to serial showing up as
/dev/cuaU0, do I need to grab another one and a nullmodem cable or there are better
alternatives? Thank you.

BR,

--
José Pérez Arauzo