Re: What do you use for kernel debugging?

From: José Pérez Arauzo <fbl_at_aoek.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 02:51:01 +0200
Hi Benjamin,

On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 15:54:36 -0400 (EDT), Benjamin Kaduk wrote
> On Sun, 28 Sep 2014, José Pérez Arauzo wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I am trying to track down a (deadlock?) issue in CURRENT via DDB. The
kernel does
> > not complete hw probes on my Acer V5.
> >
> > I get stuck on apic_isr looping which leads nowhere.
> >
> > So I thought maybe things improve if I debug from another machine.
> >

> > What do you use for kernel debugging? According to the handbook kgdb over
serial
> > is a good option, do you agree? I'm on a netbook with no ethernet and no
option
> > for firewire: can I have a USB / nullmodem setup to work?
>
> You cannot.

Oh, what a shame. Why not? Is it because you need hardware probe to
be over to use it?

Today I bought a shining USB to USB thingy made by Hama, and guess what?
It's not supported on FBDS, altought uplcom(4) reports support for
Hama USB to RS232 brother.

> > I have no old-style uarts hardware anymore, as the handbook suggests...
> >
> > Any idea is welcome before I buy extra hw. I have a USB to serial showing
up as
> > /dev/cuaU0, do I need to grab another one and a nullmodem cable or there
are better
> > alternatives? Thank you.
>
> I'm not sure that there are alternatives at all, unfortunately.
>
> You may be reduced to debugging-via-printf.

Wow, bad news! :-|

BR,

--
José Pérez Arauzo