Re: What do you use for kernel debugging?

From: Garrett Cooper <yaneurabeya_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 18:31:39 -0700
> On Sep 28, 2014, at 17:35, Justin Hibbits <chmeeedalf_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 02:31:25 +0200
> "José Pérez Arauzo" <fbl_at_aoek.com> wrote:
>
>> I hope Dcons + 1394 works where it's applicable.
>>
>> BR,
>>
>> --
>> José Pérez Arauzo
>
> As a constant user of DCons+firewire, I can say it certainly works, and
> quite well at that.  At least on PowerPC where firewire is everywhere.
> I only wish it were possible to use dcons+firewire even earlier in the
> boot (before the firewire device is probed), maybe initialize something
> in the loader.

It would be nice if both the FireWire and USB subsystems started up sooner. There are other issues (with USB for instance), where ukbd not being initialized before the mount root prompt can leave the system undebuggable.

In the short term: can the SYSINIT priority be changed in the drivers to support this?

It would be nice if there was a pluggable infrastructure for bootloader enabling of devices as debugger consoles that would make this possible.

Thanks!
-Garrett