Re: dmesg seems broken

From: Chris H <bsd-lists_at_bsdforge.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 11:22:22 -0700 (PDT)

>>> Sounds to me like the kernel ring buffer is now too small for all the early
>>> boot messages?
>> OK more investigation indicates that bumping
>> kern.msgbufsize
>> will return the missing bits. Maybe this is what you were trying to tell me. ;)
>>
>> Anyway. Anyone know why was this tunable reduced? I don't experience this on
>> RELENG_8, or 11-CURRENT.
>>
>> FWIW I have loader.conf(5) set to boot verbose. But still didn't get the info
>> expected. :(
>>
>> Thanks for the reply, Brandon.
>>
>> --Chris
>>

>>> --
>>> brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine associates
>>> allbery.b_at_gmail.com                                  ballbery_at_sinenomine.net
>>> unix, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure, xmonad        http://sinenomine.net
>>

> Try adding the sysctl to your loader.conf so it is set earlier
Thank you for the reply, Allan.
I bumped kern.msgbufsize quite a bit within loader.conf. That's how I
discovered that that tunable worked. But then needed to eek it down,
until I found the actual top of the output -- had to bounce the box
quite a few times. :P

> I don't think the size was reduced, you may just have a lot of messages.
ODD. Because running RELENG_8, or 11-CURRENT on the same hardware, and yes,
with BOOT_VERBOSE && VERBOSE_LOADING. I received the entire buffer.

Thanks again, Allan.

--Chris