Re: dmesg seems broken

From: Chris H <bsd-lists_at_bsdforge.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 11:38:07 -0700 (PDT)

>>> Try adding the sysctl to your loader.conf so it is set earlier
>> Thank you for the reply, Allan.
>> I bumped kern.msgbufsize quite a bit within loader.conf. That's how I
>> discovered that that tunable worked. But then needed to eek it down,
>> until I found the actual top of the output -- had to bounce the box
>> quite a few times. :P
>>

>>> I don't think the size was reduced, you may just have a lot of messages.
>> ODD. Because running RELENG_8, or 11-CURRENT on the same hardware, and yes,
>> with BOOT_VERBOSE && VERBOSE_LOADING. I received the entire buffer.
>>
>> Thanks again, Allan.
>>
>> --Chris
>>

>>> --
>>> Allan Jude
>
> Do you actually see a difference in the size of kern.msgbufsize between
> RELENG_8 and the RELENG_9 box that is exhibiting issues?
Good question! I was afraid you'd ask me that.
I was so anxious to get past this, and get all the tasks queued for this
box. I entered the sysctl, and just as I hit the enter key. It hit me;
I need to record the results of the value it _currently_ has -- D'OH!

I'm going to be performing the same task on a nearly identical piece of
hardware later this week. I'll record the value(s)
(for RELENG_8, RELENG_9 && 11), and report back.

Thanks, and sorry for having done "the right thing(tm)". :P

--Chris