Re: Call For Testers: Synaptics touchpads

From: Jakob Alvermark <jakob_at_alvermark.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 21:23:58 +0200 (CEST)
Sorry for not replying earlier, other things got in the way.
I noticed the second patch was committed.
Anyway here is some feedback:

On Wed, April 8, 2015 23:58, Rui Paulo wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 April 2015 22:38:33 Jakob Alvermark wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>> Tested on my Acer E3-112 with a TouchPad.
>>

>> It works, thank you!
>>

>> I have been missing two-finger scrolling, it was quite awkward using
>> edge scrolling IMHO.
>>
>> It does feel like it sometimes gets stuck in scrolling mode. When
>> trying to move the pointer just after having scrolled, it scrolls even
>> using just one finger.
>
> I've seen this problem too and I think it's related to my patch.  I'll
> see what I can do to fix it.

With the committed patch, it feels much more responsive!

>> Three-finger tapping also works. (Generating a button 3 event)
>>

> That should've worked before.

It did. Both the old and the new driver generates button 2 events. (Not
button 3, I was wrong)

>> "Clicking" on the pad (pushing it down until it "clicks" sends button
>> events for both button 1 and 2. (Which is seems to sometimes be
>> interpreted as button 3...)
>
> Was it only sending one button before?

Just tried booting the old kernel, and yes, only button 2 events gets sent.
With the new driver, I get both button 1 and 2 events...

>> The biggest improvement though; before it would get totally crazy at
>> random intervals with the pointer moving all over the screen and
>> clicking at random points. Quite annoying... This patch seems to have
>> eliminated that!
>
> Hmm, not sure how this patch would've fixed that.  I'd suggest testing a
> bit more just to be sure...

With the last update, it seem to have come back, although it feels like it
does not happen as frequently as before.
This is strange. As I said, sometimes the mouse pointer would just jump
around like mad. Even if I don't touch the pad. The remedy is to disable
it and enable again. (Fn + F7 on this Acer) Then it goes back to normal
again.

>> Also, does it support horizontal scrolling?
>>

> Yes, but Xorg needs to be patched.

Any hints on that?