Re: Merging GitHub Pull Requests into Subversion using git-svn

From: Alfred Perlstein <bright_at_mu.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 18:10:15 -0700
[[ reply private ]]

On 4/25/15 12:30 AM, David Chisnall wrote:
> On 23 Apr 2015, at 00:12, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>> While not as smooth as clicking a merge button in GitHub,
>> this is a valid way to accept patches submitted via GitHub pull requests,
>> and integrate them in our FreeBSD Subversion repo.
> The merge button on GitHub does the wrong thing anyway (merges without fast-forward, so you end up with a tangled history), so (after the initial setup) the steps that I use for merging pull requests from GitHub projects are very similar (locally pull the branch with fast-fordward, test, push).
Not to bikeshed this, but you really almost never want a fast-forward
commit.  The reason is that it becomes challenging to git-bisect things
to sort out where a bad commit was.

In addition then the merge is actually one "atomic" commit.

Getting over viewing "merge commits" as "messy" was the final hurdle I
faced going towards git-nirvana.

-Alfred