Re: readdir/telldir/seekdir problem (i think)

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 10:46:31 -0400
On Thursday, April 30, 2015 02:56:25 PM Julian Elischer wrote:
> We really need to do something because the current system is really
> broken.
> And the fact that dirent has  *32 bit* inode number in it was a
> shock.. I'd presumed
> that had gone the way of the dinosaurs and dodo.
> I think 11 needs to have a new dirent structure given out by a new
> syscall.
> (old one still present for compat reasons). Whether we need a
> readdir64() and friends
> I have not yet decided. Maybe it's time to bump libc's number again :-)

This is the entire point of the ino64 branch (and project): to rototill
struct stat and related structures so we have one ABI jump instead of
lots of separate ABI jumps.  It bumps ino_t to 64 bits, dev_t to 32 (IIRC),
adds d_off to dirent, etc.  I believe the branch is able to do it all with
symbol versioning rather than bumping libc.  However, this is why several of
us keep harping on this as the real long-term solution. :)

--
John Baldwin