RCTL and VIMAGE for 11.0-RELEASE

From: Mark Felder <feld_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 14:08:58 -0500
Hi all,

Now that the internet has reached "peak container", I would like to see
less barriers of entry for deploying such environments on FreeBSD. This
includes enabling RCTL and VIMAGE in CURRENT so we can hopefully ship
them with 11.0-RELEASE.

I know of a moderately sized deployment of jails+RCTL to keep customer
webhosting in check and it purportedly works well. I don't have a lot of
experience with VIMAGE, but it worked in a few lab environments I played
with a while ago.

What is preventing RCTL from being enabled right now? Any known/serious
blockers?

And the same for VIMAGE? I know there were issues with some firewalls,
but I'm not sure where that stands today. Does it degrade network
performance in a measurable way?

Thanks