Re: Read-only /usr/obj/ no longer kosher?

From: Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 00:55:13 +0200
On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 03:32:35PM -0700, NGie Cooper wrote:

> >> Yes, I can now reproduce it with source updated to -p2.
> >
> > Yes, that's because freebsd-version.sh is generated from the files (but
> > it's not clear to me whether if it's a bug or a feature that 'make
> > install' checks if it's up-to-date and decides to regenerate it...).
>
> It's a quirk for sure. If you change the behavior, people will
> definitely complain as they will now need to go back and rebuild
> everything.

What we have now is misleading. People should recompile. It is rather
rare to see security advisory which bumps only patch level and something
that doesn't require recompilation (eg. a shell script). Current
behaviour would make people think they are running latest patch level
because freebsd-version says so, eventhough they only did 'make
installworld' without rebuilding affected binaries.

FreeBSD committer                         http://www.FreeBSD.org
Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!                     http://mobter.com