Re: ramblings.. or not

From: Chris H <bsd-lists_at_bsdforge.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 06:46:44 -0700
On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 12:16:55 +0200 Lars Engels <lars.engels_at_0x20.net> wrote

> On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 02:31:21PM -0700, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 8:44 PM, Julian Elischer <julian_at_freebsd.org>
> > wrote: >
> > > We should also do a better job of productising and incorporating GSOC
> > > work..
> > >

> > Definitely!  It's sad to see people put a lot of working into something via
> > GSOC,
> > and then have the work die on the vine once the summer is over.
>
> There's a lack of communication. Every year we have GSOC students
> working on a part of FreeBSD, but after GSOC is over nothing happens.
> Some code goes into base quietly, some good code may be lurking in an
> external repository but nobody knows.
> My proposal is that every student and mentor should write a short
> summary of the work done and if was already committed to the tree or why
> it hasn't been committed.
I think this is a really good point.
Along those lines; wouldn't/couldn't bugzilla accommodate this well?
either gsoc.freebsd.org with an equivalent freebsd.org/gsoc,
or probably better; a GSOC category within the current PR setup.
bugzilla provides for ongoing dialog, code, and it would be fairly easy
to determine/review "final status" of the code/project. No?

--Chris