Re: "libssl.so.8" not found

From: Willem Jan Withagen <wjw_at_digiware.nl>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 11:00:19 +0100
On 14-12-2015 16:35, Brad Davis wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 06:03:25AM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 2:21 AM, Ronald Klop <ronald-lists_at_klop.ws> wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 10:11:35 +0100, Ronald Klop <ronald-lists_at_klop.ws>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 08:18:40 +0100, Matthias Apitz <guru_at_unixarea.de>

>>> It has to do with this message in /usr/src/UPDATING:
>>>

>>> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/UPDATING?r1=290206&r2=290207&pathrev=292177&
>>

>> As a temporary measure, for bootstrapping or installing packages, you can
>> also
>> use libmap.conf to map libssl.so.7 to libssl.so.8. There's a second library
>> that
>> you'll find you need to map too. This will get you over the hump. However,
>> once you do upgrade, you'll need to remove the lines because slogin and such
>> have a check for the right version of openssl, and will give an error
>> message if
>> you try to use them cross-threaded.
>
> Or just use pkg-static. :)

Cool trick, never though about that.
However that does not help with auxilary tools that are code to use pkg. :(

So in the end I just manually build the pkg port, which will compile
against whatever is available as ssl-lib. Not the best solution, since
next time Bapt releases a new version, the game starts again.

perhaps in this case it is best to move pkg-static to pkg?
and always use a static linked version. It is not like a deamon running
for ever. So the temporary overhead of 4Mb <> 150K code space would be
acceptable.

--WjW