Re: fork_findpid() - Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode

From: Mateusz Guzik <mjguzik_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 17:38:10 +0100
On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 02:33:46PM -0800, Don Lewis wrote:
> On 17 Dec, Mateusz Guzik wrote:

> >> I don't think it requires any changes to the allocater.  It should only
> >> be necessary to delay the call to fork_findpid() until we are ready to
> >> link the new proc into allproc.  Basically, drop the locks at the
> >> beginning of do_fork(), then grab them again somewhere near the end
> >> (probably where we are currently mark the process as PRS_NORMAL) and
> >> move the call to fork_findpid(), the p2->p_pid assignment, and the list
> >> manipulation code to a location after that.
> >>
> >> It's probably not quite that simple though ...
> >
> > That would mean you would need to be able to deconstruct the process
> > because you cannot guarantee there are any pids left, which may or may
> > not be easily doable.
>
> It doesn't look like we handle that properly in the current code.  I
> think fork_findpid() will loop forever.  It shouldn't be possible if
> maxproc < pid_max / 3, or maybe pid_max / 2.  It might be a good idea to
> enforce this.

Not sure I follow, can you rephrase/elaborate?

> > The current method is going to bite us performance-wise anyway and an
> > allocater which does not require a walk over the tree is necessary in
> > the long run. Seems like a bitmap (or a bunch of bitmaps) is the way to
> > go here.
>
> I think that separate bitmaps for process, process group, and session
> ids would be needed.  It would waste some space, but it's probably more
> efficent to use a byte array and store all the bits for the pid
> together.

Well I had such separate bitmaps in mind with addition of a combined
"the id is in use bitmap". This would make the common case of finding a
new pid reasonably fast. Access to all bitmaps would be protected with
proctree lock, which matches current locking scheme anyway.

--
Mateusz Guzik <mjguzik gmail.com>