UEFI Memstick Not Booting on a Thinkpad X1 Carbon

From: Atomic Beef <teddyg522_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 18:11:33 -0500
Hello,

Over the past few days I have been trying to install FreeBSD 11-CURRENT
with full disk encryption on my laptop and finally got it installed
yesterday, albeit without any encryption.

The problem that I was running into was that even though the installer on
the USB booted fine and installed the system, my laptop would fail to boot
the brand new installation. I managed to "fix" this by inserting the USB
with a 10.2-RELEASE installer on it. For some reason my system started to
boot just fine after that.

Once I had tested that everything worked on my laptop, I used dd to get the
11-CURRENT snapshot back on my USB, but I found that it would refuse to
boot. The 10.2-RELEASE image doesn't work either.

When I asked the forums about this issue, they said that it could be a
problem with the UEFI on my laptop and that a workaround might have to be
created.

Thanks,

Ted